Thursday, December 30, 2010

2011 GRAMMY BEST NEW ARTIST

2011 GRAMMY:  BEST NEW ARTIST

Nominees:

  1. Justin Bieber
  2. Drake
  3. Florence & The Machine
  4. Mumford & Sons
  5. Esperanza Spalding 

Justin Bieber:  Probably the best hair do, at least he has it for now. He can sing, and the little/young girls love him, so he has all the qualities of a star? What happens when his voice changes? Probably the best choice to win this category, and hopefully he will change his hair-do to a mature look in a few years.

Drake:   He is Canadian born, an actor and recording artist. If you like the “F” word and the “N” word in every other sentence then this is your guy. The ironic part is the he can sing, and would be a great R&B singer, but he falls into the Rap genre and probably will fade away. He will be non-memorable as time goes by, no matter how many “F” words or “N” words he puts in his song.  In his song CeCe’s Interlude, he sings “I Wish I Wasn’t Famous”;   I don’t think he needs to be too concerned about that.

Florence & The Machine:  An English inde rock group with an alternative style music group, and they sound like something I have heard before. Actually they remind me a little of Sinéad O’Connor. I would describe Florence as a eccentric pop singer.  They have possibilities, but not sure they have longevity. They may be just a fad for some.

MUMFORD & SONS:  Some of their numbers sound like choral/choir arrangements. I like the lead vocals voice, very similar to Lee Dewyze and some of the arrangements remind me of Paolo Nutini. They are from England and are a Folk Rock Group.  The vocals are somewhat wordy at times, and with added banjo plucking brings out that folksiness sound to the group. Again, I think they have some possibilities.

Esperanza Spalding: I had heard of her before, but can’t think why, and I don’t think it was in a negative way, but I am not excited about his lady. She is chamber music, jazz, Latin jazz fusion, and not that interesting. She is an American born bassist and vocalist, but to be best new artist of the year, she needs to have a little more spunk for me. Her Chamber music vocals nearly put me to sleep. I was probably listening to the wrong CD as she shows up in other genres. She has a unique voice quality.

    Tunedin4U.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment