Monday, December 27, 2010

CYNDI LAUPER, SINGER/SONGWRITER


Cyndi Lauper, Singer/Songwriter 

OMG, Cyndi is singing the blues, MEMPHIS BLUES, that is. She has sold over 30 Million records in her career beginning in the early 1980’s, and she is destined to sell a few more with her latest album.

When I first listened to the CD, I didn’t really like it. I couldn’t believe she was receiving accolades for her performance on this CD. I dutifully replayed it a few times and begin to appreciate her rendition of traditional blues. While I am not a follower of Cyndi unless it is chart toppers like “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” or “True Colors” played time and again on the radio, I normally do not seek out her music.  I will admit from the Traditional Blues perspective MEMPHIS BLUES is pretty darn good. Her interpretation reminds me of the late/great Ethel Waters (1896-1977).

The CD features seasoned bluesmen/women, Charlie Musselwhite (Who is nominated in the same category for his album THE WELL), Allen Toussaint,
B.B. King, Jonny Lang and Ann Peebles. Their collaboration make the blues come alive on this CD. I will give her credit, because she does know when to bring in the big guns.

Cyndi is nominated for her 12th Grammy (One previous win) this year to be presented February 2011 for the Best Traditional Blues Album MEMPHIS BLUES. She is up against some legends in the same category, so it will be a hard choice to pick the winner.

James Cotton:  GIANT
Charlie Musselwhite: The Well
Pintop Perkins (Nearly 100 yrs Old) and Willie “Big Eyes” Smith: JOINED AT THE HIP
Jimmie Vaughan: PLAYS BLUES, BALLADS And FAVORITES

If you are into traditional blues, give her a chance and listen to the music.
My favorite the Bobby Blue Bland song “Don’t Cry No More”, but she also sings material written by Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Little Walter Jacobs, and more. I think Cyndi presented traditional blues in a respectable format, without going over the top and doing it well on this CD.

****Keeping the blues alive!


Tunedin4U.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment