Tuesday, January 11, 2011

2011 Grammy Best Male R&B VOCAL PERFORMANCE

2011 BEST MALE R&B VOCAL PERFORMANCE

NOMINEES:  ARTIST/SONG

1 El DeBarge – "Second Chance"
2 Jaheim – "Finding My Back"
3 Kem – "Why Would You Stay"
4 Kirk Whalum  (& Musiq Soulchild)
– "We’re Still Friends"  
5 Usher – "There Goes My Baby"


El DeBarge:  This R&B, Pop, Soul Singer has been around for a while. This is his first Grammy nomination, and while it is his first comeback album since 1994 “Second Chance” is a good song, but maybe not the best song on the CD. He is getting great reviews for his work and this may be his chance to take the win. Some of the Songs remind me of Barry Whites sexy songs but in the falsetto of El DeBarge.

Jaheim:  I like this guy; I reviewed him on 1/2/2011, and said as much. He has a great song, “Finding My Way Back” it is catchy, memorable, and you could dance to it. But he is up against Usher, so his chance of winning this nomination is probably slim, but he is defiantly second.

Kem: From his CD INTIMACY this velvet voiced R&B soul singer asks “Why Would You Stay” by showing off his romantic side. This song fits his voice perfectly and one of the better songs on the CD, but probably not the Grammy winner in this case.

Kirk Whalum: He is a saxophonist, with Grammy nominations and awards, and this particular song “We’re Still Friends” features Musiq Soulchild. The CD is a tribute to the late/great Donny Hathaway, and the song is sung with the style and phrasing of Hathaway, but not as melodious.  The nomination is for the best vocal performance, so this would not be the winner in my book.

Usher: What could I say, that hasn’t been said about this guy?  He has the win hands down, and he should.  “There Goes My Baby” is a hit, it’s recognizable,
and has had lots of air-time.  I can’t see him not winning this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment