Thursday, January 13, 2011

CARL THOMAS: SINGER/SONGWRITER

Carl Thomas: Singer/Songwriter

Growing tired of reviewing the Grammy’s I am going to look at some known and not so well-known R/B Singers, and their latest CD’S.

I heard some good things about Carl Thomas an American R8B singer/songwriter, so I checked him out.

Carl released his latest CD EMOTIONAL, 2010. On this album he is a romantic ballad singer with a smooth sound expressing love and loss, which showcase his voice, but I grew tired after the same thing over and over. 

His songs are too wordy, his background singers overpower his soft voice, and the tempo on many of songs was that of a snail.  “Hey Now” I wanted to put the words in his mouth to get them out.

This is his 4th Album which was slow to come. He released singles in 2000 for “I Wish”, “Summer Rain”, and “Emotional” for this particular album. I did download “Summer Rain”, which is bit more up tempo, and “Emotional” slow, but pleasing.

Personally I like more songs from his previous work; SO MUCH BETTER out in 2007, I have several songs in my collection.


In 2006 he was nominated with Chaka Chan, Yoland Adams and Gerald Levert for the collaboration of the song “Everyday (family reunion).

He will be around, but as a recording artist he does not having staying power for me. He needs to change up his material to be more appealing. Carl Thomas has a good voice, but needs to bring more of a melodious flow, by simplifying the dialogue and cut the overpowering back-up singers, and step up the tempo. He has the potential to be a super star with his voice alone, maybe writing one’s own music is not always the best choice?

Tunedin4u.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment