Thursday, January 6, 2011

2011 GRAMMY BEST SOLO ROCK PERFORMANCE

2011 Grammy:  Best Solo Rock Performance

Nominee’s:  Artist/Single or Track

  1. Eric Clapton:  “Run Back To Your Side”
  2. John Mayer:  “Crossroads”
  3. Paul McCartney: “Helter Skelter”
  4. Robert Plant: “Silver Rider”
  5. Neil Young: “Angry World”

Not sure what Grammy is thinking?  We have so much talent out there and they have selected the “Masters”. I know that they probably overlooked a few, but c’mon, really?? While I am a fan of most of these guys, the majority are living legends and no-one is better, but are they being recognized for their work or just because who they are?

NOTE: I do not consider John Mayer a living legend in any form.

Eric Clapton:   No one can compare to Clapton. He is forever, he is a living legend. His CD:  Titled CLAPTON  is a sample of everything he is. It shows his versatility and the song “Run Back To Your Side” which is nominated sounds like the Clapton of yesteryear. Each song on the CD has a different sound unique to him. He is a winner in my book, and win or loose he has my vote.

John Mayer: I just can’t get into this album. I pretty much didn’t like it. Like I said before the entire album BATTLE STUDIES, sounds more like something he gave us before. Not his best effort or his best vocal performance.

Paul McCartney:  His rendition of “ Helter Skelter”,  the live track from Good Evening New York City, although not listed on the CD?  Or at least the version I found. It was originally written by McCartney in 1967 and recorded by the Beatles in 1967-1968. Paul’s 2010 production sounds as good as the original recording, or maybe better. It has energy and his voice is strong.  Again another living legend up to bat, and worthy of the win.

Robert Plant:  The Song “Silver Rider” is a haunting number from the CD BAND O JOY this song runs 6:05 minutes! He is in fine form on the CD, only as Robert Plant can be. Little country and a little rock’ in, but more reflection, but probably one of his better CD’s in a while, but I am not sure he has the win. The competition is strong.

Neil Young: His song “Angry World” is a typical Neil Young sound from his CD  Le NOISE. While I have never been a fan of his, I think he is an acquired taste. This CD/Album, song, don’t make me a fan, but I guess it is as good as he gets. You be the judge. 

Tunedin4U.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment